Williams makes transition from soccer to football

Fri, 08 Dec 2017

By Jimmy Hatch

UJ football player Eugene Williams was born in Jamaica where American football is irrelevant and soccer is the sport many boys grow up loving.

Williams, the kicker for the UJ football team, was born on Sept. 24, 1994, in Kingston, Jamaica. His education history includes Hew Hope Prep School, Iris Gelly Primary School, Kingston College, then University of Jamestown where he will graduate in May 2019.

When Williams was just 6 years old he began playing the sport he grew up loving – soccer. In just four years when he was 10 years old, he began competing in soccer. He continued to compete for soccer teams until he was 22 years old when he quit the soccer team at the University of Jamestown due to “irreconcilable differences between (Williams) and the team and coaches”.

Williams’ family is not disappointed with his switch from soccer to football. As a matter of fact, he has received a great deal of support from his friends and teammates. When asked if there was anybody unhappy with him about his transition to becoming a football player, his only response was his roommate and old teammate, Kristoff.

Williams is happy with his decision to join the football team. He made the decision to join the team because of the intense workouts. He said that he didn’t want to become lazy and get out of shape after he quit soccer. He knew that the dedication he would have for the football team would drive him to avoid this.

This Jamaican football player said he loves the workouts he gets from being in football. His favorite part is the intense lifts the players do, although he gets up before 6 a.m. to do them. He said his least favorite part of being on the football team is losing because he is naturally very competitive.

Being a soccer player has helped Williams on the football field. His long history with the sport that is so popular in his home country has helped him with his endurance and agility, which both help in football.

Williams said he plans to continue playing on the UJ football team and becoming the best kicker he can be until he graduates from the university.