Jimmies struggle to 2-9 season

Jimmies struggle to 2-9 season

Fri, 08 Dec 2017

By Tyler Shurtz

After high hopes heading into the 2017 football season, adversity struck the Jimmies as they fell to a 2-9 record (2-7 in NSAA) in a disappointing season.

The Jimmies began their season at home hosting Hastings College where they fell 31-3 in game where the offense struggled. The next week they hosted defending national champions University of Saint Francis. The Jimmies struggled to keep up with USF and lost 55-7.

The Jimmies went on the road for their third and fourth games, traveling to Dakota Wesleyan University first where they fell 49-12, and Valley City State University where they also came up short at 43-13.

Waldorf University then traveled to Jamestown in week five, and the Jimmies were able to earn their first win of the season by defeating the Warriors 26-19.

The team seemed to build off that success the next week when they hosted a ranked Dakota State University team. The Jimmies had success on both sides of the ball, but ended up falling short of victory in overtime, 20-14.

Weeks seven and eight both resulted in tough losses for the Jimmies, coming to Presentation College (40-22) and Dickinson State University (44-13).

Success came again in week nine as the Jimmies traveled to Mayville State University and defeated the Comets 27-14. However, the Jimmies’ success was short lived as the Jimmies fell at home to rival Valley City State for the second time.

The team finished the season off by traveling to Waldorf University for a rematch of their week five victory. Despite a record-breaking day offensively, the Jimmies were not able to fight off the Warriors in overtime, losing 55-54 on a successful two-point conversion play.

This season marked the last for the Jimmie football program in the North Star Athletic Association. The Jimmies will begin their inaugural season in the Great Plains Athletic Conference in the 2018 season.